Monday, May 26, 2008

Remember the soldiers


Memorial Day is here and it brings up a lot of important current events. I’d like people to actually think about it a sec. It’s not just a free day without work, it’s not just about having a barbecue. It’s about the soldiers who risked their lives and died for a cause they believed in. That’s some deep, powerful stuff, I have a lot of respect for that.

Myself, I think for the most part this country goes to war for the wrong reasons and in the wrong ways. The soldiers however should not be blamed for our country’s wrongdoings. Blame the politicians we voted for (who voted to invade Iraq), but don’t blame the soldiers. They’re just doing a job, trying to make a living, trying to support their families. Regardless of if the war is just or not we need to give them some love and support.

I think there is a misconception about patriotism in this country. War protesters are called “unpatriotic” and if you “support the soldiers” it means you support the war and support Bush. I do not support Bush (go Obama!!), I think the Iraq situation was handled very wrongly yet I support and respect the soldiers. Am I patriotic? I think so. I love our country (besides a few major problems we have), I plan on living here the rest of my life and making it a better place. I guess I’m just a liberal patriot. But I don’t want to get too political right now. Back to topic...

Memorial Day is a good time to remember the military personnel who have lost their lives. They deserve some respect, just something to think about while you enjoy your hamburgers and hot dogs today.

And in a related story- 100 years ago today

No comments: